Thursday, December 15, 2011

My small life

I've been reflecting on this year of blogging as 2011 is drawing to a close.  As I think about it, I realize, I live a pretty small life.  By this, I mean, I have pretty small wants and desires.  My dreams for my life are pretty small.  I don't think a small life is a bad thing.  In fact, I think if I were to choose the life I would have, I would choose this life I'm living with very few changes.

I know I've done a lot to make my life the small life it is.  I've decided I want to buy local foodstuffs for my family and shop in local stores.  We have a Walmart in our town.  In the 16 years of it's doors opening, I've entered this store less than a dozen times.  It's just not where I choose to shop.  There are a couple new chain department stores in my town and I haven't been in them yet.  Clothes shopping isn't my favorite diversion.  I buy all my produce at a local farm.  I buy my meat from local farmers.  I buy my eggs and cheese from local farmers.  This is a decision our family has made.

Because of the "buying local" food thing, I have to cook my meals at home.  Going out to a restaurant is a rare occurrence for my family.  It's not that we can't afford it.  It's that we choose to eat the food we have already purchased and eat at home.  I am so grateful for the internet and the various cooking blogs out there.  There are so many homesteading blogs with women choosing to can and preserve summer bounty.  I find so much inspiration out there in the blogosphere. 

I don't wear the most fashionable clothing.  This works out well for me, as I don't attend fancy parties and events.  If I do have to attend an event, I find something in my closet I have worn before and it gets another night out on the town.  I don't feel bad about this.  The reality of the situation is, the clothes I wear to work don't make me do a better job and the clothes I wear to a party don't make my personality any more sparkling than it already is.

I don't redecorate my house very often.  I'm satisfied with the furniture and decor I chose early in my marriage and have made it work for every house we have lived in throughout my husband's naval career and second career years.  It's so much fun to think back to the days when our kitchen table served as an end table and to remember the compliments we received on our various homes.

My husband wanted to expand my life this past year by traveling more.  We went on a lot of vacations this past year.  I have to say, it was a bit tough on me.  I'm not ungrateful.  I love travel and I had a great time on each trip.  Maybe if the hurricane hadn't broken my house I would have had an easier time being away from home.  I don't know.  I felt a bit disconnected and pushed for time to get my house fixed and back in order.  There are still quite a few things that need to be fixed and organized.  I'm looking forward to my Christmas break to get some jobs done around the house.  Maybe this means I'm a "homebody."  I don't know.

My hopes and dreams for my family are small, as well.  I want them to be happy.  I want them to be a contribution to society and to be generous to those in need.  I want my son to be able to live independently and to like his job.  I want to teach my son how to make his money work for him while he is working to earn his money. 

The most important people in my life are family.  I wish my mother lived closer to me, but she would probably want my father to come with her and I like him just where he is.  I have wonderful friends.  They are interesting and fun to hang around with.  My entertainment needs are small and my son has introduced me to Netflix streaming.  It's not great, but there is a TON of South Park on it.

My job is pretty small.  I'm a secretary.  And, I've recently discovered, through an "ALL STAFF" email from the president that I'm a non-essential employee.  It appears of the approximately 250 staff members where I work, only 18 of them were deemed essential and given raises.  Evidently, my boss is one of the essential employees.  Gee, I wonder if I helped him out at all?  I guess he did great all on his own.  *He's Awesome*  (sarcasm)

So, there you have it.  I love my life.  It's been fun to share a bit of it with my readers and even meeting a couple of you.  I'm looking forward to 2012.  I'm looking forward to sharing more of my life's journey with you and focusing on being happy on the journey.

kevinsmicrohomestead.wordpress.com

8 comments:

  1. Your life doesn't sound at all small to me.  It's good that you love your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everything is right in front of you, right where you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like small! I tell my friends and my husband that I want a peaceful and calm life. Nothing big, just peaceful and happy and calm. We pretty much have it right now.
    The part about your dad was funny. I feel the same way, but about my mom. I would love my dad to live closer, but my mom... not so much. I love them both so much... ok, I'm sure you get it.
    We don't go out to eat so much, even though that part I do like. It's not that I like going to restaurants, it's just that I don't like cooking. I cook, I have to and I like to make healthy meals for my family, but I'm not the "yay!!! I'm about to cook another meal!!! yippie!" no, I'm not that person. I'm more like "ayyy! I'm sure the person who invented the 3 meals a day was a man!" My husband cooks sometimes, but I'm the main cook.
    About the raise...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey there...i left you a long comment earlier and disqus ate it...ugh...

    you have had your ups and downs this year and i hope that you can enjoy the highs. i hope the house keeps coming together as well and i appreciate getting to share this small corner of your world with you and look forward to doing so in the next year. have a great holiday with your family!

    b

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'small' living is often the best sort of living, because it's done with great thought and care. and raises or not, you are absolutely essential.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great life... if that's what it means to be 'small' then God bless you and keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is the straight forward, no exaggeration no embellishment I like reading.. ou sound content.  And I just have to commenton the "non-essential" employee thing. What a crock!!!! Who are they fooling? And have they never read "How to Win Friends and Influence People"?   What a bunch of HR nonsense and baloney..  Too bad you can't show this blog to the people who perpetrated that tripe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That non0essential stuff is really demoralizing.  I wish that people would treat others decently and as they would like to be treated. 

    ReplyDelete

Comments from my readers bring sunshine to my day. They make me so happy.