Friday, December 16, 2011

Eat the frog

"Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day."  Mark Twain

This is my new credo.  Eat the frog.

To maximize my productivity at work and at home I do the most important, most challenging, hardest, most unliked task of my day first thing in the morning.  I look at it as a test for myself.  I don't even think about the challenge, I just dive in and get it done.  Yes, I'm a GTDer.  I find, even if I don't accomplish everything on my list of things to do, I still feel a great sense of accomplishment because I've completed a difficult and important task this day.  I've started doing this at work and it has made a huge difference.

I'd like to make a new year's resolution to exercise first thing in the morning and have that be a frog on my plate.  I know, I know...  I've said a lot about exercise and haven't followed through.  I think I'm in a big club on that point.  I've often had big plans for the new year and hope to turn over a new leaf.  I'm doing it again.  I'm not giving up on myself.  

I'm going to eat the frog.  Then then the rest of my day will be cake.  Right?

www.eatthatfrogmovie.com

10 comments:

  1. i am doing the exercise thing. Most days I get it done. I hate it but I love it after I do it. I am eating the frog too...but no cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky @ Farmgirl PaintsDecember 16, 2011 at 11:16 AM

    okay that is just too funny.  so true...just it over with already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha nice...i think that is a great motto and good wisdom...might have to borrow that one from you....the legs are not bad cooked but envisioning a live frog in my mouth is not a pretty thing....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a video the other day that posed the question, "Could you confine your sitting down and sleeping to 23 1/2 hours? "  A very clever way of saying that all you need to do is walk or ride a bike for 30 minutes every day.  He said the health benefits are huge - just from doing that.  No surprise there - but I am motivated to get back out walking again.  I really love shaking off the day and listening to the fabulous tunes I have loaded up on my iPod.  So I'll eat the frog - yes indeed.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about starting the day with exercise. If I don't get my yoga and my walk done first thing in the morning, then it doesn't happen. The hardest part is just getting from the bed, to putting my exercise clothes on. Once I have them on, it's like my mind is ready. Just the getting out of bed! That's the hardest part for me. My bed is so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That needs to be my resolution, too.  Exercise just slips off my list most days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the "eat the frog" idea is genius. I think the frog, for me, would be laundry. Not that I ever exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like my live frog with a little hot sauce and served on a saltine, tastes and slides down like a raw oyster! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9.  I think I can arrange that for you.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frogs taste like chicken, right?

    ReplyDelete

Comments from my readers bring sunshine to my day. They make me so happy.