Sunday, September 25, 2011

Maya Angelou knows something about life

I've never been a huge Maya Angelou fan.  Maybe because of Oprah.  Maybe because of Bill Clinton.  Maybe because people used her words to promote their political agenda.  I do this sometimes.  Sometimes I don't like someone just because I don't like people that like that person.  Does that make sense?  I'm not saying I think the sun rises and sets with anything Maya has said, but she HAS said some pretty wise things.  Maybe if you are prolific enough, something wise comes out.

Maya said, “The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”

This is truth.  When someone tells you they are a liar, believe them.  When someone tells you they are not a good friend, believe them.  When someone says something hurtful to you, believe they will be a hurtful person.

Maya said, “If you have only one smile in you, give it to the people you love. Don't be surly at home, then go out in the street and start grinning 'Good morning' at total strangers.”

I think the world would be a better place if more people did this.  We should be the MOST pleasant with our family.  Maybe marriages would last more often if we decided to be the MOST pleasant with our spouse.

Maya said, “I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way (s)he handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.”

The real you shows up in adversity.  She is absolutely correct about this.

Maya said, "If you don't like something, change it.  If you can't change it, change your attitude."

This is practically my credo.  I've always believed this is truth.  I don't expect the world to change for me.  I believe I either change the world, or I change me.

There are many website dedicated to Ms. Angelou.  She is a prolific writer.  I may not like her politics, but she has said some pretty wise things and they are written down.


6 comments:

  1. ha. there are plenty of people i like regardless of their politics....i do like me some maya though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Maya Angelou! I haven't read those words in a long while so thanks for that! She has got a LOT of insight. One of those rare people who can call things and situations perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very wise words.  I like what she said about believing what a person first tells you.  Very good suggestion.  

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wise words. I've always loved those first ones. FOR REAL. Kick me once; shame on you. Kick me twice; shame on me. I mean, I'm all about turn the other cheek...and run like the wind, Fool! It's done over between us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard that about the "a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights" - I could see that.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful.  It's interesting because I just entered a facebook conversation about Dolphin Tale, the movie.  Several people were boycotting it because of the political beliefs of Morgan Freeman.  I celebrate the fact that we live in a free country, whereby we are able to have different political beliefs.  Now, if the movie, poem, or television show is about those political beliefs, I won't watch them, but I will not discount a person's talent because of politics.  I will jump off of my soapbox now.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from my readers bring sunshine to my day. They make me so happy.