Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Irene, one month ago

It's been a month since Hurricane Irene hit the mid-Atlantic coast.  It's been a month.  I will give you a short update of where we are in the restoration process.
  • The insurance adjuster has been to our home.  They've written a check to us and our mortgage company.  In order to get money to pay for repairs we have to send a notarized affidavit to the mortgage company to get the money to pay for services.  Every time.  For each service.  Tedious.
  • We've hired a roofer.  Hopefully they will begin roofing within the next 2 weeks.
  • We've hired someone to replace our deck.  This is not to begin until after the roof is replaced.
  • We've hired someone to replace the picture window in our bedroom.  This may be coordinated with the roof replacement.
  • I've worked with my son to sort through his clothing.  Truthfully, we are only half-way through this process.  He found a bunch of old clothes he had stuffed in a couple dresser drawers.
  • My son sold his old X-Box.  *cheering*  He's learning to let stuff go.  <3
  • Big tree in the front of the house (with the giant root ball) is cut up and branches removed.  Still need to get the giant root ball out of there.
  • One tree in the side yard of the house is cut up and branches removed.
  • Valium prescription for Happygirl get some sleep, filled.
Things left to do.  No, I can't go there.  How much does all this cost.  No, I can't go there.  It's the thing that's keeping me from sleeping at night.

Today a co-worker mentioned that if I had better insurance I wouldn't be going through all this trouble.  He says his insurance company has NO deductible for hurricane damage.  Wow, thanks for telling me this.  I have no way of  confirming it and you had no damage to your home, but THANKS for the information.  It's good to know I have crappy insurance.  I hope you feel great about yourself now.  (btw, I didn't say any of that out loud.  :))

And, today a Kati posted the first part of a question/answer conversation we had.  Kati writes a blog called CultureTwined.  Kati is a Christian storyteller.  She is a world traveler and is fortunate enough to be able to work all over the world.  Kati, I think, sees the ways all the people in the world are more alike than not.  I love her positive and loving attitude about life.  I love how she can put what she sees around her into words.  Thanks for for the kind words about me, Kati.  It was fun.


5 comments:

  1. i will try harder to brighten your day tomorrow...smiles. but you are making progress...lets celebrate that...and the sold xbox, woot! this too shall pass...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I'll bet he was excited that he sold that xbox.  I'm glad all that is progressing. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is, and we are.  Not without a few bumps.  The window has to be replaced.  And not just the one picture window, but that and the two double hungs flanking it.  :( expensive.  Not covered by insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry about all the damage to your house. That is SO stressful. And sometimes I don't get people, who in their right mind would start telling you that you have crappy insurance at that moment? Keep staying positive and I'm very glad that the restoration process is going slowly, but surely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what it's like to have seemingly nothing but stress in it!  Praying for you friend.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from my readers bring sunshine to my day. They make me so happy.