Friday, January 7, 2011

Put it on paper

I've heard it said "Take the pressure off you and put it on paper."  I think this is a statement that needs some investigating.  I'm going to use this space to investigate this saying.  The following is my story.

Yesterday a rumor circulated around my place of business quicker than s**t through a goose (my dad used to say that).  Here's the rumor... Three long-time employees were let go.  No reason given.  No two-week notice.  Nothing.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.  Btw, this rumor ended up being true.  These 3 guys are gone.  The only rumor part is WHAT the reason for the dismissal is.

Now, I don't know about you.  In fact, I'm really not sure if anyone will see this.  But, this is scary stuff in these "tough economic times."

There are details about this situation that I won't subject the casual reader to.  However, one tiny thing is the fact that my boss is the AVP of the department these ex-employees worked under.  Now, I know I'm not informed of all business "goings on" in this business, but, occasionally, one "hears" something.  In this case, nothing.  Scary stuff.

To add insult to injury, my boss (the AVP) decides to correct me on two infractions I have committed this fine day, at the end of the day.  These infractions were small.  No long lasting problems have or will occur, but they were mistakes non-the-less.  Boy, his timing was PERFECT.  My response had a lot to be desired.  Sure I said I was sorry and would not be making those two mistakes again.  But, in my typical ISTJ manner, I had to add "Are you building a case to fire me, as well?"  Super!  Why couldn't I say sorry and leave it at that.  I've been sick to my stomach all day.  I think you can guess that this detracts from Being Happy.

What do I do?

Ok, how does one remain happy in their place of employment during this type of pressure.

It's the weekend now and I'm blogging this hoping to get this pressure off me and on to this blog.  Also, a little constructive advice would be nice, too.  Also, I talked to my husband about this issue.  He told me a management story about Type X and Type Y employees and coordinating management styles.  It is interesting to think that some managers believe that keeping their employees fearful of their employment longevity is a way to get them to work better.  I don't get my work ethic externally.  I love to do a good job and feel part of a team.  I am surprised that others don't have this motivation and only work well when watched or threatened.  But, they've done the studies, so I know it's true.  So, my guess is the managers believe all of us UN-Fired employees will start working harder so we don't become FIRED.

I'm going to go into the office on Monday, do my job, go home Monday night, and repeat this action for the rest of the week.  If Monday is my last day...  I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

And, I will pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments from my readers bring sunshine to my day. They make me so happy.