Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Number 9 - De-stress


9. De-stress. You're more likely to be cranky if you're perpetually stressed out. So get away from it all and recharge.
At the beginning of the year I posted some Tips for a Happier and Healthier Frame of Mind.  Number 9 said to de-stress.  I have just returned from four days at a health spa doing just that.  It was WONDERFUL.

I began a tradition of visiting the Heartland Spa with my mother in the early part of the year about five years ago.  I'll begin by telling you this is a very nice spa.  It is a "destination spa" which is much different than a day-spa.  While you visit the Heartland you are focusing on health, restoration and de-stressing.  I don't want to be an advertisement for this spa, but rather, focus on de-stressing and focusing on health.  While I was there I exercised by doing cardio, strength training and yoga.  I've got to tell you, I am woefully out of shape.  I have got to keep a regular exercise program going and get some stamina, strength and flexibility back.  This was not my favorite part of the visit, but it was certainly the backbone of the visit.  This portion gave me the determination to keep my exercise program going now that I have returned home.

I also spent a good deal of my time being pampered while I was at the spa.  I treated myself to a scrub and warm oil aromatherapy wrap, evening massages, a facial and mani/pedi.  I booked my mom a service every time I booked myself a service.  She said to me, "you know, I don't really need all these things."  Ah, there it is.  This is the credo I have lived by most of my life.  I don't really need to treat myself in a pampered way.  While I was having a massage the first night I arrived I thought this exact thought, "I don't really need a massage.  This is me throwing money away."  I had to force myself to remember that this massage was GOOD for me.  I was having muscles worked and warmed and prepared for more exercise than I usually do each day.  I also realized I keep emotion and tension in my muscles.  I was allowing the masseuse to work this tension and release those emotions from my body.

I thought the same thing during my facial and body treatment.  "I don't NEED this."  Then I reminded myself that I never put lotion on my back, so once a year it may not be the most decadent thing to have my skin scrubbed and moisturized ALL OVER.  

I am so glad I did these things.  I'm so glad my mom let me give these things to her.  It was a blessing to be able to do this.  It was a blessing to be able to receive this.

I think there are other ways to get away from everyday life and stresses.  I think one can go on retreats or vacations.  I'm glad I can get away with my mom and go to a peaceful and pretty place and focus on health and peace.  I encourage you to find it within yourself to believe that caring for your body will help you de-stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments from my readers bring sunshine to my day. They make me so happy.