Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I took an arrow in the chest

Metaphorically, thank goodness.  He'll never know the wrath I faced.  The anger for his actions.  He'll never know the words spoken to me in a tone of disappointment.  He won't ever hear the words spat at me and see the furrowed brow.  I looked around the room and I'm the only one here.  Sometimes when the arrows fly in a room full of people you can dodge them and avoid.  He'll never know how I felt to take one hard in the chest.  There was no one to hide behind.  There was no one to use as a shield.  I felt the blow and sighed.  I let my face belie the hurt I felt inside.  I let my face belie the confusion in my mind.  I cleared my throat.  I thanked and smiled and said I understood.  I watched his back as he cleared the door.  I smiled and yanked the arrow from my chest.  I looked around the room.  Still, just me.  I set the arrow on my desk.  This arrow was not meant for me.  It had his name on it, not mine.  But, he was not here to take the shot.  I was the only one in the room and the bow was cocked.  The arrow was ready to fly and it had to go.  I picked it up and tossed it in the trash.  I crafted the words to clear the air.  I drafted the bandages, the balm, the healing salve.  I hit send and sighed.  My wound will heal and he will never know the arrow I took was meant for him.

After all, it's only business.

Photo credit







16 comments:

  1. mmm...sometimes we have to take that arrow for others...and sometimes it is hard to swallow but you took it well...good on you

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is hard stuff, but you have managed it with grace. i sure could learn a thing or two from you, hg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like this! interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. I think you handled this with more grace than I would have, bappygirl.

    PS I wish you were my neighbor, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. then we could walk together and my Grams would freak less that I walk at night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that arrow in the chest - not good. Sounds like you took it for the team.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah now this is a story - well crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much. I'm trying to use metaphors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks. I'm trying to be a better writer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, so much more story behind this post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you are learning and reaching in your life. Hope you're having a better day today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ouch! That's one of the most difficult arrows to take, too. Sounds like you handled it with grace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happygirl! You are such a good writer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow. you are wise, woman. i learn from you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from my readers bring sunshine to my day. They make me so happy.